Sunday, April 5, 2009

Alaska Airlines

After returning home from my tremendous trip to California , my arrival home was extremely disappointing. Being victimized by the airline you trusted your luggage and life with is never fun.

On my trip to California, I packed two bags and took them both on the plane with me. There are plenty of stories of people who have had things stolen from them by the baggage handlers so I was determined not to become another statistic in that regard. When we returned home, however, I was forced to check one of my bags because Google generously provided an extra bag full of promotional materials for my school district. The bag I checked was a backpack and in the side pouch, the only thing of any real value, my prescription glasses.

Now I'll take responsibility for not being more aware of the missing glasses immediately upon arrival. But I did notice within a day of arriving when I actually began to unpack my bags. I notified Alaska as soon as I realized what had happened. They said they'd send out a packet so that I could file a claim about the theft of my personal property. Instead, I got a letter stating that my glasses were considered "items excluded from liability". That's crap! Help me to understand this. I'm forced to check some bag if I have too much stuff. I'm NOT allowed to lock that bag or secure it in any fashion so that any of Alaska's staff can access the contents of the bag. I'm asked to trust that those employees are reputable and upstanding while my bag is out of my sight, but THEY aren't going to be responsible for theft of my glasses?

To add insult to injury, they offer me a $50 voucher to fly with them again. Yeah right. So I'm suppose I should say "thanks" and fly on their planes again, trust them with my luggage again and give some of their sticky fingered baggage handlers another pass at my stuff? No thanks. I say steer clear of Alaska Airlines. They clearly aren't interested in doing right by the customer here.

No comments: